Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Trust Yourself

What happens when you find yourself in a situation you've never met and you don't know how to cope?

In my experience, I seek my husband, my mom, my sisters, my dad and God. Almost anyone but myself. I've realized, in my 29 years, all the life experience I have, I've shelved. I've taught myself that things I've learned, I must not understand as well as another. The impressions I have are brushed aside as desires and mere thoughts, not inspiration.

For example, as a mother, I worry about ruining my kids' lives when I make parenting mistakes. Mothering is bundled with guilt, worry, inadequacy, self doubt and a million other detrimental emotions, which at times, seem to highlight my shortcomings. Sound familiar?

I find myself constantly seeking advice and approval. Logically, who knows my children better than I do? No one. Who knows myself better than me? No one, save God. Therefore, advice from others should be secondary and should not trump my own impressions. 

Constantly seeking advice from others can become a slippery slope. Slowly we begin to lose our agency and lose the gifts God purposefully gave us. Eventually we give up our birthright which is to, "Reach the measure of your existence," according to psychologist, Dr. Rick

The impressions we realize within ourselves can become our most important resources for not only peace and self-worth, but in almost every aspect of our lives, spiritually and temporally. When we begin to practice our agency with confidence we understand better who we are and who we were always meant to become. We will begin to sharpen our most important instincts and realize the answers to most of our questions have always been inside us, "between your right ear and your left," according to Dr. Rick.

Relying too much upon the counsel of others, even those more experienced and in positions of authority, can be detrimental to our personal progress. I am learning I am my biggest ally, but my worst critic and am capable of much more than I give myself credit. I was born with sharp instincts which have dulled over time because I have failed to use them. 

I am working toward trusting myself and listening more closely to my impressions.
Nothing worthwhile can be attained forthwith.

1 comments:

Candida Marie said...

very insightful and very skillfully said. thanks for that.

knickers or trousers "mommy blog"
Credit: Header photos by Jessica Kettle Photography.