Sunday, February 13, 2011

John Q.


So, I'm about a decade late, but I haven't been moved this much by a movie in a long time. I suspect nine or 10 years ago I wouldn't have had the emotions I do now about a little boy who needs a heart transplant and a mom and dad who will do whatever it takes to make that happen. But today I am moved.

After the movie, I of course had to go into Boo's room and stare at him sleeping for awhile. I had to feel his chest rise and fall, breathe in his sweet, warm breath and touch my face to his. I whispered, "You are so wonderful to me." As he sleepily rolled over he whispered his reply, "I know, Mommy, I know." A feeling resonated, "I am the luckiest person in the world."

It's beautiful, the intense feelings we have as parents. We would do anything for our children. Their protection and well-being remains in the forefront of our minds always. We know having children is a risk. The kind of risk that in tragedy can break you. But, the reward: a sleepy little boy with warm, sweet breath and soft skin, rolling over in his bed, who knows he is the most wonderful thing in the world to his mommy. And that is worth every heartache. It is priceless.

Now go watch John Q. if you haven't seen it. After a few days, you'll thank me. It'll stick with you for awhile.

2 comments:

B-Blogit said...

It is a great movie and i think that denzel was grezt but yeah it would totally make me want to hold m kids too!

Jamie said...

Kelli, I love you so much!

knickers or trousers "mommy blog"
Credit: Header photos by Jessica Kettle Photography.