Sunday, January 23, 2011

I like light stuff, just not food

Today was one of those really good days where everything feels light. Figuratively speaking. Not everything actually feels light. In fact, when did Boo decide to weigh as much as an 8-year-old!? I still try to carry him on my hip like I did when he was 8-months-old, but by the way Hubs looked at me today, I assume I look a tad bit strange. And so do Boo's long, 3-year-old legs dangling down my mid-thigh. Sobeit. I guess he's growing up. Sigh.

Back to my deeper thought... Life felt light for a minute. The three of us took a lazy ride on a lazy Sunday to admire houses which make us sigh and say "someday." We wound around main street all the way to the top of the hill to see the Temple. It was peaceful. Even Boo was quiet. (This is very rare. Very, very rare.)

Boo: "I want to go inside, Daddy."
Hubs:" We can't because it's not open on Sunday."
Boo: "I wish it wasn't Sunday."
Hubs: "Only adults can go into the Temple. So when you're older, you can go in."
Boo: "Old like you?
Hubs: "Yep. But you get to go to Primary.
Boo: "Teeny kids go to nursery Daddy. Not big kids like me." (He was in nursery three weeks ago, was it? Yes three weeks ago he was a "teeny kid." Now he's huge.

Hubs made dinner, well... he watched football while I prepped the steaks, made the salad and put the potatoes in the oven. But he said he'd "worry about dinner tonight, I have those steaks we need to eat." And as soon as the game was over (perfect timing, I might add) Hubs was in the kitchen putting the steaks in the oven, (sounds strange, but Hubs can really cook a steak in the oven. I mean to perfection!) claiming credit for dinner. But his smile and all around cheerful and silly demeanor today was enough for me to be content with his delightful intentions. So I gave him credit too. Sort of, while devouring the steak that needed to be eaten, and continuously spooning mounds and mounds of very fattening sour cream onto my wonderfully tasty baked potato. Well, potatoes. I had two.

Hubs and I concluded the evening with a strange, yet oddly funny t.v. show found on Netflix's month-long free subscription. Hubs signed us up with no intention of actually buying it. We just like free things.

Life is good.

2 comments:

Cassandra Potter Kemp said...

Why are all you posts the best things ever?? I swear you should e a writer, because you are so good at it! Glad you had such a lovely Sunday.

Alicia said...

I'm glad you had a fun day. I bet those steaks were good. Brandon and I have you beat: he's going to be 35 in June and I'm going to be 30 next month and we are still renting a 2 bedroom apartment! We also drive past houses and sigh, but that is normal when you invest in school. Some of our family/friends who didn't go to school have nice homes and flat screen tvs. We don't. We still have the tvs we carted around our apartments in college. Big deal. A home will come, but school is where it's at.

knickers or trousers "mommy blog"
Credit: Header photos by Jessica Kettle Photography.