Tuesday, May 27, 2008


I have decided to be proactive about my love of photography. My generous mom bought me an SLR camera, oh I don't know, two years ago, and I have finally read the manual and have learned how to use it. All this time I have been a little afraid of it, so I've been using it as a mere point-and-shoot camera. Come to find out, it does so many amazing things! I am currently taking a class and plan to take more in Provo while there for Brock.
Today, my dad, who is the reason I love photography, being a photographer himself, and my mom helped me find a few interesting venues for photo shoots. We had so much fun together! They both have such an eye for it and it was so fun coming up with different ideas together. There are so many objects and places that don't seem very interesting until you photograph them. Photographs take you into a whole new world and make you think the entire world looks like that one picture.
My mom said quite a profound thing today. She said, "Think of the five things you would miss the most if you died today, excluding your family. Those are the things you should photograph."

A few things came to me really quickly and others I had to think about a little longer. My five and a few more :) were: Christmas morning, Fourth of July fireworks, campfires, the ocean, old houses and barns, trees in the fall and the relationship between mother and child in any form. Their commonality is that they all tell a story. What would be your five?


I think it is safe to say my love for photography has quickly become a passion. I love learning and trying new techniques any time I have a spare second. I plan to opent my own photography studio and have never been so excited. My photography is definitely still in the beginning stages, but I can't wait to learn more. I love taking candid pictures, especially of children because it is just as important, if not more, to remember their expressions, their interests and mannerisms, as it is to remember what they look like.
I am in the process of building my portfolio and currently have two family-photo bookings this week! I can't wait! If any of you are interested in letting me take pictures of your cute kids
and/or your family free-of-charge, please let me know! I would love to!

8 comments:

Nicole said...

Those pictures were adorable. So natural and simple. I know we live far away, but I would love to take you up on your offer to photograph my kids sometime. Are you getting excited for the cruise? I'm excited, but sad to leave my kids.

Brock said...

Those pics look great Kell. I'm glad you are enjoying photography so much. I feel fortunate to have you around to document our lives and the lives of our kids. Here's to many of your pictures on our walls in the years ahead...

Dave and Britt said...

Kelli those pictures are amazing. I love them! I am so excited for you to shoot (with the camera haha) our little family. Call me when ya get a second, or a phone, so we can set it up more.

Jamie said...

So I have been thinking of my 5 things since yesterday! Here is what I have come up with so far...rain, food, trees in different seasons, everything under the ocean and above, and country roads. I like the plantation homes, picket fences and antique stores we see when we drive the cute country roads around here. Your pictures are fabulous and I'm excited for you to take Tyler's pics when we come out. Also, call me, I've been trying to get a hold of you for two days!

Butler Blog said...

Hey cute pics!! I think you will be a great photographer and it's awesome that you want to have your own studio! I'll let you take some pics of my boys!! I've been wanting to get some done, and I want to do them outside, but I didn't know who to go through...so I think I'll pick you!!

HappyHodges said...

Kelli I am so excited for you and this fun talent!

Jennifer said...

That is so awsome you found something you love and you can turn it into a career. You definately have a talent of taking great pictures. I miss you family, tell them hi for me. And I really want you to take some pictures of Cayson sometime, hopefully in July!

Sherrie said...

Ah all your pics look fantastic! It's fun to have an SLR huh!? I love mine! Unfortunately though I haven't had much time to play with it...maybe i'll be coming to you for some lessons one day soon ;)

knickers or trousers "mommy blog"
Credit: Header photos by Jessica Kettle Photography.