Sunday, March 6, 2011

Adoption is the word

We are adopting! Surprise! I have to apologize because I never meant to make you wait a week for the news. My excuse...laziness. And lots and lots and lots of paperwork for the adoption process.

When you have a visual of the amount of paperwork we have to fill out, add about twice that and then you'll have a realistic idea. But, I'm not complaining. I love anything that will get me closer to my baby.

Upon finding out about my uterine abnormality, (unicorn for those of you just tuning in) it was dark. Very dark. And then something happened. A thought entered my mind that has never before. Adoption. At first I pushed it out of my mind and resisted. I had never in my life wanted to adopt. And to be honest, I had before felt slightly adverse to the idea. The thought of taking away a woman's baby seemed harsh and unnatural.

When 'adoption' came into my mind again, however, I felt peace. Peace I hadn't felt in more than a year. Peace I had longed for, but seemed so far out of sight. Peace I wasn't even sure if I could ever feel again. At least not until I was holding a baby, my baby, in my arms.

I took this to The Hubs and he was on board immediately. He loved the idea of adoption. I couldn't believe it was really happening. I was excited, scared, anxious. I felt a surge of a million different emotions. I began to feel a strong connection to an unknown woman. Someone who I envisioned struggling, just in a different way than me.

For several days everything pointed to this decision. While listening to Les Miserables, the song Fantine sings about her precious daughter, while on her death bed, left me paralyzed. She pleaded forgiveness for the mistakes she had made in the past, but did not want those decisions to affect her beloved Cosette. She loved her more than anything and begged for someone else to love her like she did.

Then I realized something. There is nothing more natural than two women coming together for the sake of a baby whom they both love. I cried. I cried for myself and for a mother who will someday, selflessly give her child to me. I cried because I knew it was right.

So here we are, in the midst of one of the most exciting journeys of our lives. Our baby is coming. It may take a long time, but he or she is coming!

We have not given up hope to conceive again. We will keep trying to expand our family in whatever way we can. Adversity, however, has granted me something beautiful I may have missed. For that I am grateful.

17 comments:

love.boxes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
love.boxes said...

This is wonderful news! Congratulations Kelli!

Candy said...

Kelli! That is SO exciting! And what a great story of your realization of this, and the peace that came to you. I admire you so much and can't wait to see this journey unfold!

Tarja said...

Visiting from the SITS sharefest - and what a great post to land on! Congratulations. Your day will come, and it will be amazing.

Anna said...

What wonderful news! My nephew is adopted, and I love him to death. I am so for adoption! If my next pregnancy leaves no hope of ever having a full-term baby, we will most definitely adopt.

If you have a minute, you should check out my friend's blog: http://xavierandaliceanne.blogspot.com/

They're adopting, and their son is due in two days! She has a lot of good insight on her blog.

(And she was in our old ward, too!)

Briann said...

im excited for you and your new journey! I have several friends who have adopted babies and they have never been happier!

cindy said...

you are a fabulous mom and your new baby will feel it just like Grey does. "How pretty are you"

the harrisons said...

MY FRIEND! This is fabulous news. I am so glad you opened up and shared it with your blog followers :) I can't wait to see what the future has in store for you!!

B-Blogit said...

how awesome! I think that is great. Just remember that LDS family services is most often the cheapest to work with and usually has shorter durations of waiting.

Also if you are looking at adopting from other countries I have connections for oprhanages run by LDS people in Ghana, Haiti and others.

This is really exciting news!!

B-Blogit said...

oh and dont forget to check with employers for some assistance many offer something and it helps to take a little expense off.

Cassandra Potter Kemp said...

This is awesome, I am so excited for you! I come in town in a week or so & I would love to get together & hang out!

Joel and Sara said...

Awesome Kelli! Pre-Jaeda I was an adoption birth-parent counselor and adoption social worker. I did the whole nine-email me if you have questions:) It was a rewarding career to say the least!

Cristy said...

I love you! What a great post. I hope your baby comes to you soon.

Molly Rivera said...

I was hoping you would adopt! I think it's such an amazing thing. There are so many babies out there that need a good home. Keep us posted on the process!

Unknown said...

Congrats, I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers, hoping this is a quick process. :)

Unknown said...

So cool. Can't wait to see you guys.

Jamie said...

I can't wait for that new little one to come into our family!

knickers or trousers "mommy blog"
Credit: Header photos by Jessica Kettle Photography.