Sunday, August 28, 2011

Our new Bug

One month ago today Bug was born. Time flies when you're in love.

July 28 we received a phone call that his birth mother was in labor. Two days later he was placed in my arms by a miracle from God and the selfless love of a mother. The weepy words, "I am giving you my baby because I love him more than myself," as she lay him in my arms, through what I can only imagine was the strength from God, will resonate in my mind forever. She reminded me of what it means to be a mother. It means breaking your own heart for the well-being of your child. I will never be able to make as significant of a sacrifice as she did for my children, but I will try every day to be the mother I need and want to be to justify her sacrifice.

Another miracle: he was mine the moment he was placed in my arms. Most people spend nine months with their babies during pregnancy and then revel in those special first days with them in the hospital. I worried I would miss out on important bonding moments.

It turns out when a baby is supposed to be yours whether it grew inside of you or not, you know. Through the mercy of God, I knew. All the missed moments with him disappeared and it was like I had known him forever.


I don't mean to make this into a religious post or to preach about my views, but I do believe the events leading up to receiving my child were orchestrated by a higher power. A God who knew this baby belonged in our family and allowed me to feel something in order to move me in his direction and him in mine. He found me and I found him. That in-and-of-itself is a miracle.

Boo grew in my belly, but this little guy grew in my heart.

collage

Boo is so happy to finally have his brother.

DSC_52512nd

20 comments:

Anna said...

So beautiful! Your words, the birth mom's love, and your new little baby! I'm so happy for you!

Candy said...

oh what a beautiful description you just wrote about! Loved your word choices and I love that your little Bug is your family now. So happy for you all!

Carina Schoen said...

Congratulations! That picture of the brothers together is absolutely priceless. Your description is so perfect, and such a good reminder - breaking our hearts for the sake of our children. Thanks :)

Joe and Alice Waarvik said...

Wow that last photo of your boys is simply amazing! So beautiful!

Gillian said...

Ah-mazing. Congratulations on your addition, he is perfect.

B-Blogit said...

that is an adorable baby! Congrats!!

TWoodseresa said...

beautifully written and I just am soooo happy for you and your amazing family. Congrats to all of you

Jennifer said...

He's beautiful Kelli! I had the chills the whole time I read your post. I love the way you said everything. I am so happy you have 2 sweet little boys. You are a wonderful mother! I miss you and think the world of you!

Kricket said...

I have been waiting to hear how everything went. I am SO happy for you. That last picture is incredible.

Candida Marie said...

I've been thinking about you since July 22nd. So glad to finally hear about things. Lovely, lovely post...lovely, lovely boys.

Molly Rivera said...

Very special. He is a lucky baby.

Nicole said...

Soooooooo happy for all of you. I have a good friend who has adopted 2 and is hoping for another. What you said about the sacrifice and mature decision of a wonderful birth mother is absolutely true. He is beautiful. Can't wait to meet him in person.

Alicia said...

Congratulations! He's adorable. Your words are so sweet. I read them and didn't see the pictures until I was finished reading them and then as I scrolled down I saw your cute baby bug and I got tears in my eyes. He's lovely! I'm so happy for you!

Tracey Minaker said...

I have been checking for weeks to see if you posted. I am so happy for you and your family. Your words were beautiful and the photos priceless. Congratulations.

Being An Allred said...

Every time I read your posts, I am so touched and overwhelmed by the strength you have and your lovely words. You are an inspiration to so many people out there. Love ya babe.

Maghann said...

So beautiful Kelly! I can't tell you how excited I am for you and your family. I have enjoyed reading your blog and keeping up with you - this is so exciting and I am so happy for you ;)!!!!

Cam and Mist said...

Wow Kelli your post made me tear up. Congratulations, he is lucky to have such a great mom!

Cristy said...

He Really does look just like Grey in that picture of the two of them. Your post is beautiful! I love those boys!

Suz said...

Oh he's adorable!! Congratulations to you guys!! Beautiful pictures of the little guy too!

Nick and Whit said...

I'm so so so HAPPY for you! He's beautiful. That last picture brought a little tear to my eye. Your home is full of a special kind of love. Congrats!!

knickers or trousers "mommy blog"
Credit: Header photos by Jessica Kettle Photography.